Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Secret Pal 9 - Answers to Questions

Here are my answers to the secret pal questionnaire...

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I love soft variegated wool yarns and silky blends. I absolutely love kid mohair in vibrant colors. In fact, I am in love with any good mohair yarn. I am crazy about Noro yarns in brilliant colors. I am wild about Mountain Colors yarns. I don't much like fun fur or this type of yarn but I do play with it in some of my art projects, like felted bowls.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Everything is stored in a see through container with a lid on it. It is the kind of thing you get in Walmart for storage. I have them all neatly arranged inside of one container so I can find what I need when I need it. I like things organized. It makes life so much easier.


3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I’ve been knitting for over 50 years, since I was around 8 or 10 years old.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? – No

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

Patchouli is my all-time favorite scent. I love the Kiss My Face products in Patchouli scent. I use handmade soaps exclusively. I like Eucalaptus, Green Tea, etc. My favorite perfume is Angel.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Yes, but I keep it under control. I work out at a gym several days a week and try to not eat candy much.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I majored in fiber arts as an undergraduate, along with painting. I learned to spin, but I hate it.
I would much rather go buy the yarn I want to use. I make jewelry from sterling silver and wonderful stones and I sell it at art festivals year round. I am a professor of fine art, so I am always making stuff.

8. What kind of music do you like? I like different kinds of ethnic music. I always buy local music when I am traveling in Austria, Germany, Puerto Rico, etc. I love Appalachian Mountain music and Bluegrass very much.


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love Russets, Oranges, Yellow-Orange, Red-Orange, Lime Greens, and Turquoise type colors. I like COLOR. I do not wear gray or any bland colors. I hate colors that are neutral and without strong personalities. I like my color rich and vibrant.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married and have 2 cats. We have been married since 1961 - I guess that makes it about 45 years now. Wow, time flys. We have 5 children, 7 grand children, and 3 great grand children.


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I love them all

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I like to wear the things I knit - clothing. I enjoy knitting for other people, a gift of love.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Lots of things! My first pair of socks. I have one done, and started the other one. I am working on three scarves for Christmas gifts. I have a number of other things going that I will wear, such as a jacket designed by Lilly Chin, and a kimono.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I use both straight and circular. I prefer bamboo or aluminum.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes and yes

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 6 months. I started a kimono out of Moonlight mohair in the late winter. Then, when summer came I put it on hold till cooler weather. I am about to finish it up in a few weeks.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I enjoy them all. I especially love Christmas, though, because of my large family.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Yarn; Gem Stones and Jewelry; Green Santa Clause figures (they are dressed in green instead of red); Zuni Fetishes; Puerto Rican Santos; Viking Glass from the 19950s; Hazel Atlas dinnerwear from the 20-30s. And, more!

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?I have a subscription to Knit & Style that will begin soon since my grandson was selling mags for his school fund raiser. - I love reading knitting mags and am always on the lookout for really cool patterns. I love Vogue Knitting and would like a subscription to that one.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Yes, I would like to learn many things. I am going to a workshop with the Y2Knit group in Vermont later this month and hope to learn finishing techniques there. I am doing my homework now, for it.

22. Are you a sock knitter? Just learning to do it. I am shoe size 8.

23. When is your birthday? August 27. Since I am not a car, the year does not matter. I absolutely hate to hear people talking about their age - how boring is that! We are not cars, but human beings and we have a timeless and ageless "spirit" so why bother with the birth date???

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm not a car, either.
It has always bothered me that age in men is seen as dignified and attractive but age in women makes them old bags. I've made a deal with myself to never buy wrinkle cream. And never dye my hair to hide anything, but no promises made about having fun with colour(I have one white hair I'm very proud of. I'm waiting for it to bring friends.)

Lynda Lambert said...

Yes, for men age is seldom mentioned. But for women, for some reason, age seems to be a topic of discussion. I get furious when I hear women sitting around talking about their "age" because it is stupid to do this. I could care less how old anyone is and I think ther are lots more interesting topics for discussion than age. Our age is totally out of our control and we have had nothing to do with it - we were born at a certain time for reasons unknown to us at this time. Let's get on with living and enjoying life without being hung up on "age."