Here are my answers to the secret pal questionnaire...
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love soft variegated wool yarns and silky blends. I absolutely love kid mohair in vibrant colors. In fact, I am in love with any good mohair yarn. I am crazy about Noro yarns in brilliant colors. I am wild about Mountain Colors yarns. I don't much like fun fur or this type of yarn but I do play with it in some of my art projects, like felted bowls.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Everything is stored in a see through container with a lid on it. It is the kind of thing you get in Walmart for storage. I have them all neatly arranged inside of one container so I can find what I need when I need it. I like things organized. It makes life so much easier.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for over 50 years, since I was around 8 or 10 years old.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? – No
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Patchouli is my all-time favorite scent. I love the Kiss My Face products in Patchouli scent. I use handmade soaps exclusively. I like Eucalaptus, Green Tea, etc. My favorite perfume is Angel.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, but I keep it under control. I work out at a gym several days a week and try to not eat candy much.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I majored in fiber arts as an undergraduate, along with painting. I learned to spin, but I hate it.
I would much rather go buy the yarn I want to use. I make jewelry from sterling silver and wonderful stones and I sell it at art festivals year round. I am a professor of fine art, so I am always making stuff.
8. What kind of music do you like? I like different kinds of ethnic music. I always buy local music when I am traveling in Austria, Germany, Puerto Rico, etc. I love Appalachian Mountain music and Bluegrass very much.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love Russets, Oranges, Yellow-Orange, Red-Orange, Lime Greens, and Turquoise type colors. I like COLOR. I do not wear gray or any bland colors. I hate colors that are neutral and without strong personalities. I like my color rich and vibrant.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married and have 2 cats. We have been married since 1961 - I guess that makes it about 45 years now. Wow, time flys. We have 5 children, 7 grand children, and 3 great grand children.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love them all
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like to wear the things I knit - clothing. I enjoy knitting for other people, a gift of love.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Lots of things! My first pair of socks. I have one done, and started the other one. I am working on three scarves for Christmas gifts. I have a number of other things going that I will wear, such as a jacket designed by Lilly Chin, and a kimono.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Of course!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I use both straight and circular. I prefer bamboo or aluminum.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes and yes
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 6 months. I started a kimono out of Moonlight mohair in the late winter. Then, when summer came I put it on hold till cooler weather. I am about to finish it up in a few weeks.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I enjoy them all. I especially love Christmas, though, because of my large family.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn; Gem Stones and Jewelry; Green Santa Clause figures (they are dressed in green instead of red); Zuni Fetishes; Puerto Rican Santos; Viking Glass from the 19950s; Hazel Atlas dinnerwear from the 20-30s. And, more!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?I have a subscription to Knit & Style that will begin soon since my grandson was selling mags for his school fund raiser. - I love reading knitting mags and am always on the lookout for really cool patterns. I love Vogue Knitting and would like a subscription to that one.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Yes, I would like to learn many things. I am going to a workshop with the Y2Knit group in Vermont later this month and hope to learn finishing techniques there. I am doing my homework now, for it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? Just learning to do it. I am shoe size 8.
23. When is your birthday? August 27. Since I am not a car, the year does not matter. I absolutely hate to hear people talking about their age - how boring is that! We are not cars, but human beings and we have a timeless and ageless "spirit" so why bother with the birth date???